Saturday, April 04, 2009

And you thought Rap Ballads were bad in your own language...

It's debatable which would be worse: a rap ballad in a language you CAN understand, and have to deal with lyrics like "Girl I feel so sad, like I did something bad, don't be mad 'cause I'm sad... Now you're gone, can't get along, is our love really done, 'cause I thought you were the one"

or a rap ballad in a language you CAN'T understand, so that all attention is drawn to the awful music.

Last time we saw Jo Gwon, we at Roboseyo thought he was a girl at first, until we saw sixpack proof he was a dude.

Now, you can hear him singing the girl parts in this song.



It must be a pretty good song, because the person who posted it wrote:
OMG JINWOON RAPPING IS HELLA HOT. Seul Ong's voice is awesome. Changmin's adlib is TO DIE FOR and Kwon as usual is hella amazing kdjhdfkhkfj 2AM YOU STEAL MY BREATH AWAY.
(ps: hat tip to here)

(PS: wouldn't it be awesome is Rolling Stone wrote reviews like that about the singers they loved? Those crusty music writers who still give five stars to anything Bruce Springsteen or Mick Jagger produces, because it reminds them of their twenties, saying "OMG! Thisz is The GR8EST Almum EVARRRR! The EAGLES are soooooooohotttt! I kan't beleeive tehy'r doin a reunion tour! I SOOOOOOO wanna goooooooooo!")

Personally, I have a special "Love to Hate" corner of my black, black heart for rap ballads that steal lines from the most beautiful pieces of classical music. "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" by Sweetbox in particular, because the interestingly titled, "Air on the G String" by JS Bach has a special place in my heart, too.


My other greatest "Love to Hate" song?

Eagles' Reunion Tour: Hotel California, the overwrought version of one of the most overplayed songs ever. Every single Korean bar with a projector screen owns the Eagles reunion tour DVD. Every. Single. One.

My other love to hate song, also because it was a great song ruined by overplay: Brown Eyed Girl, by Van Morrison

No comments: