Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Free encyclopaedia britannica for Bloggers! (and a cool video)

Hat-tip to Japundit: wow, this'll blow your mind.


I have NO idea what it means, or who these amazing dancers are, but watch twenty seconds of this video, and see if you don't want to watch the rest.

Next: SeoulBuffoon turned me onto this: Encyclopaedia Britannica has decided to push back against Weakipedia with its sometimes fishy information (fishmormation), by offering a FREE one year subscription to their online encyclopaedia to bloggers.

If you blog, and you want something a little more authoritative than woulditpleaseya, follow this link, and register your site. I did and it was absolutely painless.

And now, for some totally unnecessary information, that's cooler than normal unnecessary information, because it's FREE:

Mantis shrimp (Squilla)[Credits : Jane Burton—Bruce Coleman Inc.] any member of the marine crustacean order Stomatopoda, especially members of the genus Squilla. Mantis shrimps are so called because the second pair of limbs are greatly enlarged and shaped like the large grasping forelimbs of the praying mantid, or mantis, an insect.


MLA style citation:
"mantis shrimp." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2008. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 22 Apr. 2008 .

Thanks, Seoulbuffoon!

And, to celebrate free information on the internet (free information on the internet? who'd'a thunk?)
Come To Me, by Koop. Really, really cool song. Plus swing dancing. Dreamy. Give it a listen.

Completely randomly, my student introduced this song to me, when I was looking for a totally different song that'd been running through my head. She came in and said, "I found the song you were looking for. . . " and told me about these cats. Rarely has a student been so wrong, and so right, both at the same time.


(ps: don't forget the survey on the sidebar)

1 comment:

Jon Allen said...

couple of execellent videos there.
I'll check out the EB sometime.
I've also taken the survey.
Great idea, I might try it too.