Monday, December 07, 2009

I Love the Wolfhound Forever

A while ago I had a gripe about the Wolfhound Pub in Itaewon - I even wrote a letter to them on my blog (see here) -- here was my gripe, to sum up:

Dear Wolfhound: Please either...
1. serve your coffee in a smaller mug, so that I don't feel ripped off by getting a coffee mug that's 40% full
2. fill your flurbing coffee mugs to the top, or at least near the top
3. charge less than three thousand won for four mouthfuls of coffee, when down the street, Rocky Mountain Tavern gives free coffee refills with all their breakfasts, and Starbucks gives nearly a PINT of coffee for a tiny bit more than the price of your tiny coffee puddle.
I ended off the letter with this:
it wouldn't take much to fix this problem. Just do it, and I'll love you forever.
Well, dear readers, I just got an e-mail from Wolfhound, and I hope they don't mind if I share it with you:

So, in response, I shall keep my promise to love them forever.

Dear readers, let me tell you about The Wolfhound Pub: (btw: this is a completely unpaid, message; I have not, and do not plan to benefit from writing this financially or in any other way; I'm writing this of my own volition and everything)

When I hanker for Fish'n'Chips, there's really only one place to go in Seoul:

Wolfhound Pub, which not only serves what are the best fish'n'chips I've had in Seoul, but which serves them up two for one on Tuesdays. In case you're a shark.

Seoul Eats just published their menu: go look.

Zenkimchi and Seoul Eats have gushed on about their burgers already, so I'm going to tell you about my own favorites:

1. the Irish Stew, which is nice
2. even more so: the beef and mushroom pie, which I like so much that I want to write it in all caps. Or at least italics.

It's a beef and mushroom stew with a flaky pastry over the top, which almost bursts with hot air when you poke it with a fork, and then deflates slowly into the stew.

Here's how it looks from the outside
DSCN1197


and here's how it looks once you poke through that lovely pastry:
DSCN1200
and ooh, dear readers, it is so good.

Here's the toad in the hole
DSCN1198

The breakfast is good, and looking better these days, when a few of the former standout western breakfasts Really Muffed Theirs. So get on over there for your hangover brunch, or your British pub food, folks. The irish stew, the shepherd's pie, the fish'n'chips, are all among the better British Isles/UK-ish food you can find, they have Guinness and Alley Kat and Kilkenny on tap, so you can kick back with some good eats, and have a full cup of coffee while you're at it. And remember: Wolfhound cares what you think.*

:) *especially if you google bomb them, sez the cynic in me



But seriously, Wolfhound: thanks for listening. Congratulations on the new renovations, and good luck in the future. If you're asking, Girlfriendoseyo would be more easily convinced to come and have your great food if the first of your two floors were non-smoking. But still: good music, great food, thanks for being there, Wolfhound.

Another story that'll make you like Wolfhound: they had these popular wedge fries they served, but last winter, potato stocks were low quality. Rather than serve up inferior potato wedges, Wolfhound put up signs saying, "Until potato shipments improve in size and quality, we're taking potato wedges off the menu, because we'd rather not serve anything, than dish up rubbish 'taters to paying customers." Gotta respect that, yah? Yah.

-Roboseyo

6 comments:

The Sanity Inspector said...

Sounds like some classy eatin' joints you discovered, there.

HBanana said...

Did they bring back the 2-4-1 fish'n'chips Tuesday because I went in there this summer and they said it was finishee ㅠ ㅠ

Unknown said...

Are the potatoes in the Korean markets really that small and puny? I got a question on my Korean latke's video

"Where can I get the large potatos? I can only find very small ones around here."

I had to tell him that he can still grate the small ones to make good latkes but there's no way you can use small potatoes for good fish and chips.

Levi Kaufman said...

Wow, you actually got results. Maybe you could ask them to bring back the real malt vinegar instead of that nasty crap with the floaters in it that doesn't even smell remotely like malt vinegar.

Bybee said...

I also love the Wolfhound forever, but for different reasons.

Anonymous said...

The only problem I have with the Wolfhound Pub is that there service is shit and I think it's ridiculous that you constantly have to wave or raise your voice to get one of the servers to actually come over and serve you and of course you can only get their attention when they're not collectively sitting outside smoking away --real professional looking --at the front entrance. I wonder if they even wash their damn hands after finishing smoking!