Sunday, March 01, 2009

Here's for you, Melissa and Joy: Roboseyo Blogs Music

See, if I started writing about music, it'd take over the blog pretty easily... but Melissa inspired me, with her "25 Musical Facts About Me," to add my final word to that silly 25 Facts About You thing that's going around on Facebook... (and meanwhile, Joy always mentions that she and I ought to talk about music sometime)...

but not before I say this:

Listen, you goofballs (and I know it's the same people...plus a few of your younger counterparts). Remember seven years ago, when your friends staged an intervention, and told you to stop sending E-MAIL forwards to all of them, all the time? And how some of them threatened to cut ties with you entirely...

SENDING FACEBOOK NOTES AND ZOMBIE BITES IS EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

The difference between forwarding "Timmy the Brain Tumor" e-mails in 1997 and tagging people in facebook notes which require them to do something and tag others, or sending them zombie bites, vampire bites, pirate bites, or WHATEVER, is equal to the difference between taking a piece of crap and wrapping it in a PLASTIC box, and wrapping the same piece of crap in a CARDBOARD box. It's just as annoying, and I'm just as not going to do it.

OK. That being said...

Here are, not 25 stupid facts about myself, instead,
25 Songs that Make Rainbows Burst Out My Eyelids.


Here they are: in No Particular Order
Tom Waits - Hold On
Radiohead - Thinking About You
Propellorheads - History Repeating
Magnetic Fields - Busby Berkeley Dreams
Jens Lekman - Your Beat Kicks Back Like Death
The Polyphonic Spree - It's The Sun
The Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #1 - Tunnels
Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes
Neko Case - I Wish I Was the Moon Tonight
Tegan and Sara - Call it Off
Buddy Rich (and his band) - The Beat Goes On
The Mountain Goats - This Year
String Quartet plays Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack
White Stripes - I'm Slowly Turning Into You
Yeasayer - Red Cave
Jens Lekman - People Who Hate People
Do, Make, Say, Think - Frederica
Lucas - With the Lid Off
Antony & The Johnsons - Bird Gerhl
Angela McCluskey - Famous Blue Raincoat
Nina Simone - Suzanne
Blind Melon - Soup
Wolf Parade - I'll Believe in Anything
Feist - Mushaboom
Stan Rogers - Barrett's Privateers

Most of these were dependent on their availability on Youtube, and there are a hundred other songs I love which I could substitute in for any one of these, but those are twenty five songs that make me glee.



and I'm NOT TAGGING ANYONE.

9 comments:

JIW said...

Rob I think you have a memory like an elephant.

~Sorry I didn't go to the sparkle down... but lets do something local next time.

Melissa said...

Honestly, I'm not just saying this because it's connected to my 25 Musical Things - this is the BEST playlist ever. EVER! I'm burning these tracks on CD, like today. You want a copy? :)

I too am sorry about missing the HOS "sparkle down". Someday I'll actually appear in real life.

~Melissa

Anonymous said...

And here I thought I was the only one who still admits to liking Lucas' "With the Lid Off". Nice!

Anonymous said...

Hello !!!

Interesting music selection you have .

May i ask,Do you listen to hip-hop ?

Roboseyo said...

Hi, Anonymous.

I do like hip-hop, but in my personal opinion, it's best for when I'm on a dance floor, not sitting at a computer desk, hence its absence on the list.

I'm a fan of a few hip-hop acts: I enjoy Madvillain and some Busdriver, and am in awe of Eminem's verbal skill. Generally, I don't choose music by genre, but by quality, so if you can drop the names of some really interesting and talented hip-hop acts, I'm all ears.

Have a good one.

Anonymous said...

Hello , how are you !!

let me think , Lupe Fiasko,Nas ,2Pac .
I think these are good one's in my view.

Did you like them ?
Emminem is good too..oh you mentioned him already ,opps !!

Roboseyo said...

Thanks for the tips, Anonymous. I'll look them up when I have some free time.

Have a good one.

-Roboseyo

Brian said...

Hey Rob, what's your take on Fleet Foxes?

Roboseyo said...

klimbsac: glad you enjoy the blog.

Brian: Fleet Foxes' latest album was enjoyable from top to bottom, and the last track in particular made me happy, but somehow it never quite got around to blowing my hair back.

If you like them, I also recommend Andrew Bird's most recent two albums, The Walkmen's album "You & Me" and, in a different genre, the one who's really been cooking my samgyupsal lately, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings.