Wednesday, December 29, 2010

snow pictures from yesterday

It snowed yesterday, so I took these pictures.

It's actually harder taking good snow pictures than it seems, because all the white in the frame seems to wash out the three-dimensional feeling in a picture's composition, if it's not handled carefully.

Anyway, I headed out to Bu-am dong, near Sangmyung University, and took some pictures on the way up a couple of mountainsides, and through a couple of grotty old neighborhoods, the likes of which are slowly, sadly disappearing.

Anyway, I love fresh snow.
DSCN8040

DSCN8035

DSCN7962


And snow on branches.
DSCN7943

DSCN7942

DSCN7952

DSCN8051

maybe my second favorite picture from the day... I was actually a little disappointed with the results of my photography, though the snowy trudge was sure fun.
DSCN7997

There's a little temple up there.
DSCN8016

during the spring, this was a rushing river.  Now kids were down there, having snowball fights in the riverbed.
DSCN7980

DSCN7969

This is a good example of why snow doesn't photograph well in daylight: the textures of the snow, and the branches on which it hung, got washed out by the diffuse daylight.  If the snow had been sitting on larger shapes, the picture would have some composition, and if it were a moving video camera, you could see the 3D movement of the things behind the branches, to get a sense of the depth.  As it is, there isn't much to see in this picture, though it looked super cool in person.
DSCN8037

Maybe at night, if there were a single light source (say, an orange street light) it would have looked cooler.

Pine branches sagging under heavy snow.  Now we're talking!
DSCN8005


My favorite picture on the day.  I'm pretty sure that's Bukhansan, though I might be wrong.
DSCN8001

I also managed to get the pictures off the confounded wrong-file-formatted video camera and onto my computer, finally.
IMG_8981


so those are my snow-tos.  (see what I did there?  I combined snow and photo, because they both have a long "o" sound!)

I also spotted this cool coffee shop name on the way up the hill to Sangmyung University:

DSCN8031


The most puzzling thing I saw during my walkabout was definitely this nativity scene, out in front of a neighborhood church:

it's a run of the mill nativity scene, until you look at the proportional sizes of the figurines, and you wonder how a Mary that size had a baby Jesus that size... unless Jesus was capable of fish and loaves type miracles right from day one.
DSCN7976

And, finally, because I have nowhere else to put them:

One of the little city beauty elements that one doesn't spot every day, but which I always love to see:

When the sun reaches a certain angle, it'll reflect off the side of one glass-windowed building, onto the side of another building, and cast all kinds of strangely shaped lights and shadow on it.
DSCN7895

Stuff you don't see in the countryside, friends.

DSCN7869

2 comments:

Gisela Verdin said...

Great pics!!

I took some pics about 2 weeks ago of the snow, but mine are not so good actually... lol

Ps. Great blog!! I found some great tips before traveling to Seoul :)

Valerie Knight said...

I got a good laugh from that nativity scene!